An authentic Italian recipe from our kitchen to yours. Buon Appetito!
- 3 large russet potatoes (Yukon gold potatoes would also be very good)
- 3 small sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 large cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine
1. Peel and rinse the potatoes, making sure to remove all eyes and dark spots. Cut the potatoes into medium-sized cubes.
2. In an oven-safe and broiler-safe pan or skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add garlic and rosemary. Sauté for 2 – 3 minutes or until the garlic begins sizzle lightly.
3. Add cubed potatoes and a little salt. Sauté for 4 minutes.
4. Add wine and 1/4 cup fresh water to the pan; mix the liquids with the potatoes. Cover the pan and allow the mixture to simmer for 5 – 7 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven broiler to high.
6. Continue to let the potatoes simmer in the water/wine/oil mixture for 15 minutes or until the potatoes become soft but retain their cube shape. If the liquid evaporates from the pan during cooking, continue to add a small amount of water to the pan until the potatoes have softened.
7. Once the potatoes have softened, uncover the pan and allow most of the liquid in the pan to evaporate.
8. Remove pan from the stove and place under the broiler element in the oven. Broil for 8 minutes and then toss the potatoes in the pan so they will brown on the other side. Broil for another 8 minutes or just until the potatoes become dry and crispy on the outside and begin to turn golden brown.
9. Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool slightly. Plate and serve the roasted potatoes hot.